Thursday 18 May 2017

Spiced Feijoa Crumble Loaf

Today has been one of those days. A day where I want to give a standing ovation to every single person who works in childcare and loves working in childcare. 

Thursdays are the only day Shyra-Beth doesn't go to kindy. Usually this OCD organised mummy, ALWAYS has some sort of activity planned. Today the plan was to go the the animal nursery at the Agrodome. Seriously if you are ever in Rotorua you have to check the Agrodome out, especially if you have little animal lovers! 

However last night Master Paul decided to wake up at 2am which in turn woke Shyra-Beth up. Me being the amazing wife who didn't want to wake up my hard working husband, I tried to handle the situation by myself. MISTAKE. Basically to cut a long story short I ended up in bed with both babies and Josiah ended up sleeping in Shyra-Beth's room. This morning when we woke up I opened the drapes to find a bitterly cold, wet, windy day and I knew it was not worth trying to get two grumpy kids out of the house which was MISTAKE #2

I kid you not, we did every rainy day activity imaginable. We built forts, baked, watched movies, painted, coloured and rearranged all the living room furniture so that we could dance every time there was a song on Frozen. By the way, I'm doing all of this while constantly feeding a very grizzly, teething five month old! So right now I'm lying in bed, exhausted but so grateful for Shyra-Beth's amazing kindy, and my ultra cozy European cushions. 



Josiah's parents have a couple of feijoa trees and this year they got an amazing crop so we have tonnes of them! If you aren't from New Zealand you are probably wondering what the Fee- what-a is a Feijoa. Think of it as a guava cross with a passionfruit. I guess that is the best way I would describe it? I'm addicted, I was especially addicted while I was pregnant! I remember smashing through an entire bucket in like two days. It's just something about the sweet sour grittiness that is just oh so addictive! As you can see below, Shyra is a huge fan too! 


Having tonnes on the verge of being over ripe I thought I had better bake with them. I did a cake earlier this week but wasn't happy with it because I didn't put it in a big enough cake tin so most of it overflowed, the crumble was average and I could still really taste the baking soda in it. 

This recipe isn't for an overly sweet cake and is more of a tea cake as opposed to a dessert but it was still a winner in our house! Also I chose to do it in a loaf tin because it is so loaded with feijoa it is quite crumbly, so the loaf tin makes it easier to cut. Enjoy! 

Also make sure not to chuck out your feijoa skins, if it works I'll be sharing what I did with mine! Ooooooh the suspense



Spiced Feijoa Crumble Loaf

Cake

3/4 cup mashed feijoa
1 cup of sugar
125g melted butter
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp all spice
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda

Crumble Topping

25g butter chopped
2T Flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup shredded coconut (Desiccated is fine but I prefer the texture of shredded) 

1. In a bowl whisk together melted butter, egg and sugar 
2. In another bowl sift all your dry ingredients 
3. Mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients being careful not to over mix
4. Gently fold through mashed feijoa till well combined

5. Add butter, flour and brown sugar to a bowl and rub with your fingers until you get the consistency of bread crumbs
6. Add rolled oats and shredded coconut 

7. Pour the cake batter into a lined loaf tin and top with the crumble topping
8. Bake for  40-45 mins in a pre-heated oven 170 degrees Celsius or until the skewer comes out clean*

* Make sure to not put your tray too near to the top of the oven or your crumble might get a bit burnt 



No comments:

Post a Comment