Thursday 13 April 2017

Rice cooker cheesecake

I'm a lover of baked cheesecake. Like actually if you ever want to bribe me, cheesecake is the way to go. So when I saw this video make its rounds on facebook I was utterly intrigued so I started reading up different blogs where people had tried this recipe. From this research I came to the conclusion that this recipe would render the amazing sticky, dense texture of of baked cheesecake without the fear of overcooking and having it sink, crack and go dry (sounds just like my skin during pregnancy). so I just had to try it for myself! 

Being of Indian descent one does not normally leave my house without being fed, and as we are all about the spontaneous hangs (after the toddler is in bed) I'm always after quick dessert recipes with ingredients I can always have on hand. So I adapted the recipe I found, by using more long life/shelf stable items. That way if I ever have surprise guests round for dessert or afternoon tea all I have to do is pull out my mixer! From what I tasted it didn't seem like these changes affected the integrity of this cake at all! 

FYI- Foil wrapped original Philadelphia Cream cheese has a shelf life of 3-4 weeks! Defo one you can easily keep on hand. 


Ricecooker Cheesecake


200g cream cheese
2 eggs
200ml UHT cream
2 T lemon juice (I used bottled)
100g sugar
40g flour sifted


  1. Take the cream cheese out of the fridge about 15 mins before using or just soften lightly in the microwave
  2. Cut into cubes and put in the mixer, mixing at a medium speed
  3. Add eggs, sugar and lemon juice
  4. Increase to a High speed and mix until mixture is smooth and has no lumps. You may have to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a spatula once or twice during this process
  5. Add cream
  6. Slowly add your flour, this was where I started getting lumps so I decided to do step 7, however if your mixture is smooth, feel free to miss this step
  7. Strain your mixture into your rice cooker tin
  8. Go through 1-3 rice cycles until the cake looks cooked* 
  9. Let it cool in the pan for about 30 mins and then run a rubber spatula right around the sides and slightly under the cake if your spatula is bendy enough. This should allow you to flip it out with no trouble!


*Now this is where it differs from cooker to cooker and blog to blog.I have a ninja rice cooker that cooks brown rice, porridge, steams or cooks rice super fast. I put it on a normal white rice cycle, but ended up doing it three times (around 40 mins) You will know when the cake is done because your skewer comes out with sticky bits of the cake on it, not sloppy batter, it doesn't wobble when you shake the pan and it is starting to come away from the sides of the rice pan- which shows the crust is formed


Cheaters White Chocolate Ganache


50ml UHT cream
1/2 cup of white chocolate buttons


  1. Place half the buttons and the cream into a ramekin and microwave for 30 seconds
  2. Give it a good stir/whisk with a fork and then add additional buttons and whisk till you get a lovely smooth consistency
Also I'm fully aware I totally need to up my photo game with these recipes! 







1 comment: