Wednesday 26 April 2017

Coconut Panna Cotta with Charred Mango

We just had such an amazing weekend with our friends The Reynolds. We have this on-going tradition where whenever we have a meal together, I always make something bizarre. Once it was Vietnamese Coffee Jelly or as Dan called it Jello-fee, another time it was my tofu cheesecake, which was awesome FYI! But anyway this time I decided to stick to a known favourite and not make them my food guinea pigs! 

Like I mentioned in my Rice Cooker Cheesecake post, I love having go-to no-fail desserts I can just whip up and this recipe is definitely one of them. I literally make it so often, I don't even refer to a recipe anymore, so I can't actually remember where I got it from, I think it may be a countdown one? Anyway lovely husband who is not a big dessert fan, is not a fan of this one normally, funny because he always seems to eat it anyway? But with the addition of Charred Mango, I think I might just have a convert! 

Being a coconut panna cotta there's various things you can serve it with. I've done lychees, palm sugar toffee sauce and toasted coconut, lime and mint. Feel free to use whatever you have on hand or is seasonal! 

You totally have to excuse my unmolding skills in the photo as my friends were making me laugh and JJ was screaming for me to feed him so I had to rush them out of their ramekins, normally they come out pretty perfectly! 


Coconut Panna Cotta with Charred Mango

400ml can of coconut cream
250ml Cream
1/2 cup of white sugar
2 teaspoons of gelatin powder dissolved in 2T of hot water

2x Ripe Mangoes Diced
25g Butter
2T Brown sugar


1. Add Coconut cream, Cream and sugar to a pot and bring to the boil stirring, to dissolve the sugar
2. Dissolve gelatin in hot water
3. Once Cream mixture has come to the boil, add gelatin whisking continuously
4. Pour into ramekins (I normally get about 6 very full ones or 8 which are 2/3s filled) 
5. Place in fridge till set 
6. To remove from the ramekins, sit on the benchtop for about 10 mins and then slowly run a very flexible small rubber spatula around the edge

1. Dice Mangoes
2. Melt butter and sugar in a hot saucepan
3. Once this mixture is frothing add your mango and keep the heat on high so that the sauce reduces around the mango. 
4. I like to keep the mango in the pan till it is just started to blacken 





No comments:

Post a Comment